Open Access. Powered by Scholars. Published by Universities.®

Cell Biology Commons

Open Access. Powered by Scholars. Published by Universities.®

PDF

Physiology

GSBS Dissertations and Theses

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis

Articles 1 - 2 of 2

Full-Text Articles in Cell Biology

Exploring The Role Of Fus Mutants From Stress Granule Incorporation To Nucleopathy In Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis: A Dissertation, Hae Kyung Ko Sep 2015

Exploring The Role Of Fus Mutants From Stress Granule Incorporation To Nucleopathy In Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis: A Dissertation, Hae Kyung Ko

GSBS Dissertations and Theses

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) is a progressive neurodegenerative disease characterized by preferential motor neuron death in the brain and spinal cord. The rapid disease progression results in death due to respiratory failure, typically within 3-5 years after disease onset. While ~90% of cases occur sporadically, remaining 10% of ALS cases show familial inheritance, and the number of genes linked to ALS has increased dramatically over the past decade.

FUS/TLS (Fused in Sarcoma/ Translocated to liposarcoma) is a nucleic acid binding protein that may regulate several cellular functions, including RNA splicing, transcription, DNA damage repair and microRNA biogenesis. More than ...


Investigating The Effects Of Mutant Fus On Stress Response In Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis: A Thesis, Laura J. Kaushansky Aug 2015

Investigating The Effects Of Mutant Fus On Stress Response In Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis: A Thesis, Laura J. Kaushansky

GSBS Dissertations and Theses

During stress, eukaryotes regulate protein synthesis in part through formation of cytoplasmic, non-membrane-bound complexes called stress granules (SGs). SGs transiently store signaling proteins and stalled translational complexes in response to stress stimuli (e.g. oxidative insult, DNA damage, temperature shifts and ER dysfunction). The functional outcome of SGs is proper translational regulation and signaling, allowing cells to overcome stress.

The fatal motor neuron disease Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) develops in an age-related manner and is marked by progressive neuronal death, with cytoplasmic protein aggregation, excitotoxicity and increased oxidative stress as major hallmarks. Fused in Sarcoma/Translocated in Liposarcoma (FUS) is ...