Open Access. Powered by Scholars. Published by Universities.®

Social History Commons

Open Access. Powered by Scholars. Published by Universities.®

Local History

Discipline
Institution
Publication Year
Publication
Publication Type
File Type

Articles 1 - 30 of 1499

Full-Text Articles in Social History

Miami: Then & Now, Dana Mcgeehan Apr 2018

Miami: Then & Now, Dana Mcgeehan

Library Research Scholars Program 2017-2018

This project consists of an ArcGIS Story Map of Miami-Dade County. Each “then” and “now” photo set will be marked with an icon on the map. The side-bar will show viewers two photos of the same physical space. These photos can be placed side-by-side. These spaces will mostly be buildings, but may also focus on the landscape through maps and how this has changed over time. The “then” photos come primarily from the UM Library’s Special Collections and the Florida State Archives website, floridamemory.com. The “now” photos are ones that I’ve taken myself. A paragraph or two ...


Doing History With Online Mapping Tools: An Introduction, Joanne M. Riley Nov 2014

Doing History With Online Mapping Tools: An Introduction, Joanne M. Riley

Joseph P. Healey Library Publications

In November, 2014 the National Heritage Museum in Lexington, Mass., offered a presentation titled "How to Do History with Online Mapping Tools" as part of a series related to the Museum and Library’s collection of historic maps sponsored by the Ruby W. and LaVon P. Linn Foundation. The invited presenters were Jessie Partridge from the MetroBoston DataCommon, a provider of free applications that make it possible to map data, and Joanne Riley, University Archivist and Curator of Special Collections in the Healey Library at UMass Boston. Both presenters helped lay historians, data fans, and map enthusiasts discover how visualizations ...


Doing History With Online Mapping Tools: Handout, Joanne M. Riley Nov 2014

Doing History With Online Mapping Tools: Handout, Joanne M. Riley

Joseph P. Healey Library Publications

Handout listing resources and links that accompanied Riley's presentation "Doing History with Online Mapping Tools: an Introduction"


Doing History With Online Mapping Tools: Handout, Joanne M. Riley Nov 2014

Doing History With Online Mapping Tools: Handout, Joanne M. Riley

Joanne M. Riley

Handout listing resources and links that accompanied Riley's presentation "Doing History with Online Mapping Tools: an Introduction"


Doing History With Online Mapping Tools: An Introduction, Joanne M. Riley Nov 2014

Doing History With Online Mapping Tools: An Introduction, Joanne M. Riley

Joanne M. Riley

In November, 2014 the National Heritage Museum in Lexington, Mass., offered a presentation titled "How to Do History with Online Mapping Tools" as part of a series related to the Museum and Library’s collection of historic maps sponsored by the Ruby W. and LaVon P. Linn Foundation. The invited presenters were Jessie Partridge from the MetroBoston DataCommon, a provider of free applications that make it possible to map data, and Joanne Riley, University Archivist and Curator of Special Collections in the Healey Library at UMass Boston. Both presenters helped lay historians, data fans, and map enthusiasts discover how visualizations ...


John Gary Anderson Papers - Accession 158, John Gary Anderson Jan 1979

John Gary Anderson Papers - Accession 158, John Gary Anderson

Manuscript Collection

The John Gary Anderson Papers consist of biographical sketches of J.G. Anderson and Alice Holler Anderson (wife of J.G. Anderson), newspaper clippings offering accounts of the success and failures of the Rock Hill Buggy Company, the Anderson Motor Company and “the Rock Hill Plan” for reduction of the cotton crop in the south. Also included is a map of Rock Hill dated 1891 and scrapbooks containing advertising materials for Anderson’s products, photographs, and correspondence relating to Anderson’s business, his will and years as a trustee of Winthrop College (1920-1937).


York County Multiethnic Heritage Project Collection - Accession 186, York County Multiethnic Heritage Project Jan 1978

York County Multiethnic Heritage Project Collection - Accession 186, York County Multiethnic Heritage Project

Manuscript Collection

The York County Multiethnic Heritage project collection includes a wide variety of material that can be used for research on York County and for instructional purposes by teachers. The collection consists of magazines, newspaper clippings, books, photographs, slides, audio tapes, video cassettes, slide transparencies, and copies of historical documents such as letters and land records.


Pindarian Club Of Rock Hill Records - Accession 166, Book Club Of Rock Hill, Pindarian Jan 1978

Pindarian Club Of Rock Hill Records - Accession 166, Book Club Of Rock Hill, Pindarian

Manuscript Collection

The Pindarian Club of Rock Hill, SC was organized on February 25, 1954 as a daughter club of the Perihelion Club. The purpose of the literary club is to encourage and sustain the intellectual development of its members and to promote better citizenship, inviting therein such social factors as may contribute to this purpose. The records consist of histories, constitutions, bylaws, minutes, membership records, photographs, yearbooks, and newspaper clippings documenting the club’s history.


Thomas Family Papers - Accession 147, Thomas Family Jan 1978

Thomas Family Papers - Accession 147, Thomas Family

Manuscript Collection

The Thomas Family Papers are a valuable source of information concerning family life in Rock Hill, S.C. during the period 1920-1945. The collection includes diaries, Thomas Tours brochures, newspaper clippings speeches, financial and estate records, genealogies, menus, photographs, memorabilia and an extensive body of correspondence comprising the largest part of the collection. Dr. Roy Zachariah Thomas brought his family to Rock Hill when he assumed the position of professor of Chemistry at Winthrop College in 1914. The correspondence in the collection traces the growth of the Thomas family and the tour business, Thomas Tours, Inc., that Dr. Thomas founded ...


Green River Steamboating A Cultural History, 1828-1931, Helen Bartter Crocker Jul 1970

Green River Steamboating A Cultural History, 1828-1931, Helen Bartter Crocker

Masters Theses & Specialist Projects

In recent years, historians have displayed a growing interest in the cultural development of certain well-defined regions. Often a river valley inspired such a study, for example, R.E. Banta’s The Ohio, Thomas Clark’s The Kentucky and Harriette Arnow’s Seedtime on the Cumberland. These and many other river histories dealt less with the river itself than with its tendency to define and alter an area’s culture

This thesis, dealing with the culture of Green River’s steamboat era, is less about the steamboat or Green River than it is about their effect on river people. It ...


The Chester News April 29, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels Apr 1927

The Chester News April 29, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels

Chester News 1927

The Chester News was a semi-weekly, later weekly continuation of the Semi-Weekly News established in 1913. The name changed to the Chester News in September 1917 retaining the number sequence of the Semi-Weekly News. In 1917 it was a semi-weekly Democrat newspaper. About 1942, it became a weekly paper. W. Ward Pegram and Stewart L. Cassells were the owner/publishers. W. Ward Pegram, Jr. took ownership after his father’s death and published the paper until September 1971 when it merged with the Chester Reporter to form the News and Reporter which is still in publication.


The Chester News April 26, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels Apr 1927

The Chester News April 26, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels

Chester News 1927

The Chester News was a semi-weekly, later weekly continuation of the Semi-Weekly News established in 1913. The name changed to the Chester News in September 1917 retaining the number sequence of the Semi-Weekly News. In 1917 it was a semi-weekly Democrat newspaper. About 1942, it became a weekly paper. W. Ward Pegram and Stewart L. Cassells were the owner/publishers. W. Ward Pegram, Jr. took ownership after his father’s death and published the paper until September 1971 when it merged with the Chester Reporter to form the News and Reporter which is still in publication.


The Chester News April 22, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels Apr 1927

The Chester News April 22, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels

Chester News 1927

The Chester News was a semi-weekly, later weekly continuation of the Semi-Weekly News established in 1913. The name changed to the Chester News in September 1917 retaining the number sequence of the Semi-Weekly News. In 1917 it was a semi-weekly Democrat newspaper. About 1942, it became a weekly paper. W. Ward Pegram and Stewart L. Cassells were the owner/publishers. W. Ward Pegram, Jr. took ownership after his father’s death and published the paper until September 1971 when it merged with the Chester Reporter to form the News and Reporter which is still in publication.


The Chester News April 19, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels Apr 1927

The Chester News April 19, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels

Chester News 1927

The Chester News was a semi-weekly, later weekly continuation of the Semi-Weekly News established in 1913. The name changed to the Chester News in September 1917 retaining the number sequence of the Semi-Weekly News. In 1917 it was a semi-weekly Democrat newspaper. About 1942, it became a weekly paper. W. Ward Pegram and Stewart L. Cassells were the owner/publishers. W. Ward Pegram, Jr. took ownership after his father’s death and published the paper until September 1971 when it merged with the Chester Reporter to form the News and Reporter which is still in publication.


The Chester News April 15, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels Apr 1927

The Chester News April 15, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels

Chester News 1927

The Chester News was a semi-weekly, later weekly continuation of the Semi-Weekly News established in 1913. The name changed to the Chester News in September 1917 retaining the number sequence of the Semi-Weekly News. In 1917 it was a semi-weekly Democrat newspaper. About 1942, it became a weekly paper. W. Ward Pegram and Stewart L. Cassells were the owner/publishers. W. Ward Pegram, Jr. took ownership after his father’s death and published the paper until September 1971 when it merged with the Chester Reporter to form the News and Reporter which is still in publication.


The Chester News April 12, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels Apr 1927

The Chester News April 12, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels

Chester News 1927

The Chester News was a semi-weekly, later weekly continuation of the Semi-Weekly News established in 1913. The name changed to the Chester News in September 1917 retaining the number sequence of the Semi-Weekly News. In 1917 it was a semi-weekly Democrat newspaper. About 1942, it became a weekly paper. W. Ward Pegram and Stewart L. Cassells were the owner/publishers. W. Ward Pegram, Jr. took ownership after his father’s death and published the paper until September 1971 when it merged with the Chester Reporter to form the News and Reporter which is still in publication.


The Chester News April 8, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels Apr 1927

The Chester News April 8, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels

Chester News 1927

The Chester News was a semi-weekly, later weekly continuation of the Semi-Weekly News established in 1913. The name changed to the Chester News in September 1917 retaining the number sequence of the Semi-Weekly News. In 1917 it was a semi-weekly Democrat newspaper. About 1942, it became a weekly paper. W. Ward Pegram and Stewart L. Cassells were the owner/publishers. W. Ward Pegram, Jr. took ownership after his father’s death and published the paper until September 1971 when it merged with the Chester Reporter to form the News and Reporter which is still in publication.


The Chester News April 5, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels Apr 1927

The Chester News April 5, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels

Chester News 1927

The Chester News was a semi-weekly, later weekly continuation of the Semi-Weekly News established in 1913. The name changed to the Chester News in September 1917 retaining the number sequence of the Semi-Weekly News. In 1917 it was a semi-weekly Democrat newspaper. About 1942, it became a weekly paper. W. Ward Pegram and Stewart L. Cassells were the owner/publishers. W. Ward Pegram, Jr. took ownership after his father’s death and published the paper until September 1971 when it merged with the Chester Reporter to form the News and Reporter which is still in publication.


The Chester News April 5, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels Apr 1927

The Chester News April 5, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels

Chester News 1927

The Chester News was a semi-weekly, later weekly continuation of the Semi-Weekly News established in 1913. The name changed to the Chester News in September 1917 retaining the number sequence of the Semi-Weekly News. In 1917 it was a semi-weekly Democrat newspaper. About 1942, it became a weekly paper. W. Ward Pegram and Stewart L. Cassells were the owner/publishers. W. Ward Pegram, Jr. took ownership after his father’s death and published the paper until September 1971 when it merged with the Chester Reporter to form the News and Reporter which is still in publication.


The Chester News April 1, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels Apr 1927

The Chester News April 1, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels

Chester News 1927

The Chester News was a semi-weekly, later weekly continuation of the Semi-Weekly News established in 1913. The name changed to the Chester News in September 1917 retaining the number sequence of the Semi-Weekly News. In 1917 it was a semi-weekly Democrat newspaper. About 1942, it became a weekly paper. W. Ward Pegram and Stewart L. Cassells were the owner/publishers. W. Ward Pegram, Jr. took ownership after his father’s death and published the paper until September 1971 when it merged with the Chester Reporter to form the News and Reporter which is still in publication.


The Chester News March 29, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels Mar 1927

The Chester News March 29, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels

Chester News 1927

The Chester News was a semi-weekly, later weekly continuation of the Semi-Weekly News established in 1913. The name changed to the Chester News in September 1917 retaining the number sequence of the Semi-Weekly News. In 1917 it was a semi-weekly Democrat newspaper. About 1942, it became a weekly paper. W. Ward Pegram and Stewart L. Cassells were the owner/publishers. W. Ward Pegram, Jr. took ownership after his father’s death and published the paper until September 1971 when it merged with the Chester Reporter to form the News and Reporter which is still in publication.


The Chester News March 25, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels Mar 1927

The Chester News March 25, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels

Chester News 1927

The Chester News was a semi-weekly, later weekly continuation of the Semi-Weekly News established in 1913. The name changed to the Chester News in September 1917 retaining the number sequence of the Semi-Weekly News. In 1917 it was a semi-weekly Democrat newspaper. About 1942, it became a weekly paper. W. Ward Pegram and Stewart L. Cassells were the owner/publishers. W. Ward Pegram, Jr. took ownership after his father’s death and published the paper until September 1971 when it merged with the Chester Reporter to form the News and Reporter which is still in publication.


The Chester News March 22, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels Mar 1927

The Chester News March 22, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels

Chester News 1927

The Chester News was a semi-weekly, later weekly continuation of the Semi-Weekly News established in 1913. The name changed to the Chester News in September 1917 retaining the number sequence of the Semi-Weekly News. In 1917 it was a semi-weekly Democrat newspaper. About 1942, it became a weekly paper. W. Ward Pegram and Stewart L. Cassells were the owner/publishers. W. Ward Pegram, Jr. took ownership after his father’s death and published the paper until September 1971 when it merged with the Chester Reporter to form the News and Reporter which is still in publication.


The Chester News March 18, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels Mar 1927

The Chester News March 18, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels

Chester News 1927

The Chester News was a semi-weekly, later weekly continuation of the Semi-Weekly News established in 1913. The name changed to the Chester News in September 1917 retaining the number sequence of the Semi-Weekly News. In 1917 it was a semi-weekly Democrat newspaper. About 1942, it became a weekly paper. W. Ward Pegram and Stewart L. Cassells were the owner/publishers. W. Ward Pegram, Jr. took ownership after his father’s death and published the paper until September 1971 when it merged with the Chester Reporter to form the News and Reporter which is still in publication.


The Chester News March 15, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels Mar 1927

The Chester News March 15, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels

Chester News 1927

The Chester News was a semi-weekly, later weekly continuation of the Semi-Weekly News established in 1913. The name changed to the Chester News in September 1917 retaining the number sequence of the Semi-Weekly News. In 1917 it was a semi-weekly Democrat newspaper. About 1942, it became a weekly paper. W. Ward Pegram and Stewart L. Cassells were the owner/publishers. W. Ward Pegram, Jr. took ownership after his father’s death and published the paper until September 1971 when it merged with the Chester Reporter to form the News and Reporter which is still in publication.


The Chester News March 11, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels Mar 1927

The Chester News March 11, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels

Chester News 1927

The Chester News was a semi-weekly, later weekly continuation of the Semi-Weekly News established in 1913. The name changed to the Chester News in September 1917 retaining the number sequence of the Semi-Weekly News. In 1917 it was a semi-weekly Democrat newspaper. About 1942, it became a weekly paper. W. Ward Pegram and Stewart L. Cassells were the owner/publishers. W. Ward Pegram, Jr. took ownership after his father’s death and published the paper until September 1971 when it merged with the Chester Reporter to form the News and Reporter which is still in publication.


The Chester News March 8, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels Mar 1927

The Chester News March 8, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels

Chester News 1927

The Chester News was a semi-weekly, later weekly continuation of the Semi-Weekly News established in 1913. The name changed to the Chester News in September 1917 retaining the number sequence of the Semi-Weekly News. In 1917 it was a semi-weekly Democrat newspaper. About 1942, it became a weekly paper. W. Ward Pegram and Stewart L. Cassells were the owner/publishers. W. Ward Pegram, Jr. took ownership after his father’s death and published the paper until September 1971 when it merged with the Chester Reporter to form the News and Reporter which is still in publication.


The Chester News March 4, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels Mar 1927

The Chester News March 4, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels

Chester News 1927

The Chester News was a semi-weekly, later weekly continuation of the Semi-Weekly News established in 1913. The name changed to the Chester News in September 1917 retaining the number sequence of the Semi-Weekly News. In 1917 it was a semi-weekly Democrat newspaper. About 1942, it became a weekly paper. W. Ward Pegram and Stewart L. Cassells were the owner/publishers. W. Ward Pegram, Jr. took ownership after his father’s death and published the paper until September 1971 when it merged with the Chester Reporter to form the News and Reporter which is still in publication.


The Chester News March 1, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels Mar 1927

The Chester News March 1, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels

Chester News 1927

The Chester News was a semi-weekly, later weekly continuation of the Semi-Weekly News established in 1913. The name changed to the Chester News in September 1917 retaining the number sequence of the Semi-Weekly News. In 1917 it was a semi-weekly Democrat newspaper. About 1942, it became a weekly paper. W. Ward Pegram and Stewart L. Cassells were the owner/publishers. W. Ward Pegram, Jr. took ownership after his father’s death and published the paper until September 1971 when it merged with the Chester Reporter to form the News and Reporter which is still in publication.


The Chester News February 25, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels Feb 1927

The Chester News February 25, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels

Chester News 1927

The Chester News was a semi-weekly, later weekly continuation of the Semi-Weekly News established in 1913. The name changed to the Chester News in September 1917 retaining the number sequence of the Semi-Weekly News. In 1917 it was a semi-weekly Democrat newspaper. About 1942, it became a weekly paper. W. Ward Pegram and Stewart L. Cassells were the owner/publishers. W. Ward Pegram, Jr. took ownership after his father’s death and published the paper until September 1971 when it merged with the Chester Reporter to form the News and Reporter which is still in publication.