Open Access. Powered by Scholars. Published by Universities.®

Social History Commons

Open Access. Powered by Scholars. Published by Universities.®

Articles 1 - 30 of 1492

Full-Text Articles in Social History

Mary Oni Holler Papers - Accession 111, Mary Oni Holler Jan 1978

Mary Oni Holler Papers - Accession 111, Mary Oni Holler

Manuscript Collection

The Mary Oni Holler Papers consist of genealogical material concerning the Holler family and correspondence between Holler and her parents in Chester County, South Carolina, which mainly concern her life, impressions and studies at the Chester Female Institute in Chester, Virginia, her marriage, family matters, her work as a school teacher in Chester County, her travels, and social life.


Daniel Saye Hollis Papers - Accession 175, Daniel Saye Hollis Jan 1978

Daniel Saye Hollis Papers - Accession 175, Daniel Saye Hollis

Manuscript Collection

Daniel Saye Hollis (1885-1981) was a politician and community leader from Rock Hill, SC. The Daniel Saye Hollis Papers consist of correspondence, speeches, legislative bills, reports, newspaper clippings and other material relating to Hollis’ career, term of office as a member of the South Carolina House of Representatives, York County politics, and the South Carolina Democratic Party. Of particular interest is a memoir entitled, “I Remember," which focuses on his early life, rural attitudes, and growing up in a southern rural community in the early 1900s. There is also some information on St. John’s United Methodist Church, Rotary Club ...


Boulware Family Papers - Accession 102, Thomas Mccullough Boulware, James Richmond Boulware Jan 1977

Boulware Family Papers - Accession 102, Thomas Mccullough Boulware, James Richmond Boulware

Manuscript Collection

The Boulware Family Papers consist of photocopies of a plantation journal (302 pages) kept by Thomas McCullough Boulware I (1829-1889) and a genealogy of the Boulware family written by James Richmond Boulware II of Lakeland, Florida, in 1948. The journal concerns the Blackstocks Plantation in Chester County, South Carolina and subjects include the planting of crops and farming of land; family events, such as deaths, births and marriages; family travel and vacations; church affairs, including the local temperance league; land sales; free black and northerners in Chester County after the Civil War.


The Chester News April 29, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels Apr 1927

The Chester News April 29, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels

Chester News 1927

The Chester News was a semi-weekly, later weekly continuation of the Semi-Weekly News established in 1913. The name changed to the Chester News in September 1917 retaining the number sequence of the Semi-Weekly News. In 1917 it was a semi-weekly Democrat newspaper. About 1942, it became a weekly paper. W. Ward Pegram and Stewart L. Cassells were the owner/publishers. W. Ward Pegram, Jr. took ownership after his father’s death and published the paper until September 1971 when it merged with the Chester Reporter to form the News and Reporter which is still in publication.


The Chester News April 26, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels Apr 1927

The Chester News April 26, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels

Chester News 1927

The Chester News was a semi-weekly, later weekly continuation of the Semi-Weekly News established in 1913. The name changed to the Chester News in September 1917 retaining the number sequence of the Semi-Weekly News. In 1917 it was a semi-weekly Democrat newspaper. About 1942, it became a weekly paper. W. Ward Pegram and Stewart L. Cassells were the owner/publishers. W. Ward Pegram, Jr. took ownership after his father’s death and published the paper until September 1971 when it merged with the Chester Reporter to form the News and Reporter which is still in publication.


The Chester News April 22, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels Apr 1927

The Chester News April 22, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels

Chester News 1927

The Chester News was a semi-weekly, later weekly continuation of the Semi-Weekly News established in 1913. The name changed to the Chester News in September 1917 retaining the number sequence of the Semi-Weekly News. In 1917 it was a semi-weekly Democrat newspaper. About 1942, it became a weekly paper. W. Ward Pegram and Stewart L. Cassells were the owner/publishers. W. Ward Pegram, Jr. took ownership after his father’s death and published the paper until September 1971 when it merged with the Chester Reporter to form the News and Reporter which is still in publication.


The Chester News April 19, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels Apr 1927

The Chester News April 19, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels

Chester News 1927

The Chester News was a semi-weekly, later weekly continuation of the Semi-Weekly News established in 1913. The name changed to the Chester News in September 1917 retaining the number sequence of the Semi-Weekly News. In 1917 it was a semi-weekly Democrat newspaper. About 1942, it became a weekly paper. W. Ward Pegram and Stewart L. Cassells were the owner/publishers. W. Ward Pegram, Jr. took ownership after his father’s death and published the paper until September 1971 when it merged with the Chester Reporter to form the News and Reporter which is still in publication.


The Chester News April 15, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels Apr 1927

The Chester News April 15, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels

Chester News 1927

The Chester News was a semi-weekly, later weekly continuation of the Semi-Weekly News established in 1913. The name changed to the Chester News in September 1917 retaining the number sequence of the Semi-Weekly News. In 1917 it was a semi-weekly Democrat newspaper. About 1942, it became a weekly paper. W. Ward Pegram and Stewart L. Cassells were the owner/publishers. W. Ward Pegram, Jr. took ownership after his father’s death and published the paper until September 1971 when it merged with the Chester Reporter to form the News and Reporter which is still in publication.


The Chester News April 12, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels Apr 1927

The Chester News April 12, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels

Chester News 1927

The Chester News was a semi-weekly, later weekly continuation of the Semi-Weekly News established in 1913. The name changed to the Chester News in September 1917 retaining the number sequence of the Semi-Weekly News. In 1917 it was a semi-weekly Democrat newspaper. About 1942, it became a weekly paper. W. Ward Pegram and Stewart L. Cassells were the owner/publishers. W. Ward Pegram, Jr. took ownership after his father’s death and published the paper until September 1971 when it merged with the Chester Reporter to form the News and Reporter which is still in publication.


The Chester News April 8, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels Apr 1927

The Chester News April 8, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels

Chester News 1927

The Chester News was a semi-weekly, later weekly continuation of the Semi-Weekly News established in 1913. The name changed to the Chester News in September 1917 retaining the number sequence of the Semi-Weekly News. In 1917 it was a semi-weekly Democrat newspaper. About 1942, it became a weekly paper. W. Ward Pegram and Stewart L. Cassells were the owner/publishers. W. Ward Pegram, Jr. took ownership after his father’s death and published the paper until September 1971 when it merged with the Chester Reporter to form the News and Reporter which is still in publication.


The Chester News April 5, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels Apr 1927

The Chester News April 5, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels

Chester News 1927

The Chester News was a semi-weekly, later weekly continuation of the Semi-Weekly News established in 1913. The name changed to the Chester News in September 1917 retaining the number sequence of the Semi-Weekly News. In 1917 it was a semi-weekly Democrat newspaper. About 1942, it became a weekly paper. W. Ward Pegram and Stewart L. Cassells were the owner/publishers. W. Ward Pegram, Jr. took ownership after his father’s death and published the paper until September 1971 when it merged with the Chester Reporter to form the News and Reporter which is still in publication.


The Chester News April 5, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels Apr 1927

The Chester News April 5, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels

Chester News 1927

The Chester News was a semi-weekly, later weekly continuation of the Semi-Weekly News established in 1913. The name changed to the Chester News in September 1917 retaining the number sequence of the Semi-Weekly News. In 1917 it was a semi-weekly Democrat newspaper. About 1942, it became a weekly paper. W. Ward Pegram and Stewart L. Cassells were the owner/publishers. W. Ward Pegram, Jr. took ownership after his father’s death and published the paper until September 1971 when it merged with the Chester Reporter to form the News and Reporter which is still in publication.


The Chester News April 1, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels Apr 1927

The Chester News April 1, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels

Chester News 1927

The Chester News was a semi-weekly, later weekly continuation of the Semi-Weekly News established in 1913. The name changed to the Chester News in September 1917 retaining the number sequence of the Semi-Weekly News. In 1917 it was a semi-weekly Democrat newspaper. About 1942, it became a weekly paper. W. Ward Pegram and Stewart L. Cassells were the owner/publishers. W. Ward Pegram, Jr. took ownership after his father’s death and published the paper until September 1971 when it merged with the Chester Reporter to form the News and Reporter which is still in publication.


The Chester News March 29, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels Mar 1927

The Chester News March 29, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels

Chester News 1927

The Chester News was a semi-weekly, later weekly continuation of the Semi-Weekly News established in 1913. The name changed to the Chester News in September 1917 retaining the number sequence of the Semi-Weekly News. In 1917 it was a semi-weekly Democrat newspaper. About 1942, it became a weekly paper. W. Ward Pegram and Stewart L. Cassells were the owner/publishers. W. Ward Pegram, Jr. took ownership after his father’s death and published the paper until September 1971 when it merged with the Chester Reporter to form the News and Reporter which is still in publication.


The Chester News March 25, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels Mar 1927

The Chester News March 25, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels

Chester News 1927

The Chester News was a semi-weekly, later weekly continuation of the Semi-Weekly News established in 1913. The name changed to the Chester News in September 1917 retaining the number sequence of the Semi-Weekly News. In 1917 it was a semi-weekly Democrat newspaper. About 1942, it became a weekly paper. W. Ward Pegram and Stewart L. Cassells were the owner/publishers. W. Ward Pegram, Jr. took ownership after his father’s death and published the paper until September 1971 when it merged with the Chester Reporter to form the News and Reporter which is still in publication.


The Chester News March 22, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels Mar 1927

The Chester News March 22, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels

Chester News 1927

The Chester News was a semi-weekly, later weekly continuation of the Semi-Weekly News established in 1913. The name changed to the Chester News in September 1917 retaining the number sequence of the Semi-Weekly News. In 1917 it was a semi-weekly Democrat newspaper. About 1942, it became a weekly paper. W. Ward Pegram and Stewart L. Cassells were the owner/publishers. W. Ward Pegram, Jr. took ownership after his father’s death and published the paper until September 1971 when it merged with the Chester Reporter to form the News and Reporter which is still in publication.


The Chester News March 18, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels Mar 1927

The Chester News March 18, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels

Chester News 1927

The Chester News was a semi-weekly, later weekly continuation of the Semi-Weekly News established in 1913. The name changed to the Chester News in September 1917 retaining the number sequence of the Semi-Weekly News. In 1917 it was a semi-weekly Democrat newspaper. About 1942, it became a weekly paper. W. Ward Pegram and Stewart L. Cassells were the owner/publishers. W. Ward Pegram, Jr. took ownership after his father’s death and published the paper until September 1971 when it merged with the Chester Reporter to form the News and Reporter which is still in publication.


The Chester News March 15, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels Mar 1927

The Chester News March 15, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels

Chester News 1927

The Chester News was a semi-weekly, later weekly continuation of the Semi-Weekly News established in 1913. The name changed to the Chester News in September 1917 retaining the number sequence of the Semi-Weekly News. In 1917 it was a semi-weekly Democrat newspaper. About 1942, it became a weekly paper. W. Ward Pegram and Stewart L. Cassells were the owner/publishers. W. Ward Pegram, Jr. took ownership after his father’s death and published the paper until September 1971 when it merged with the Chester Reporter to form the News and Reporter which is still in publication.


The Chester News March 11, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels Mar 1927

The Chester News March 11, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels

Chester News 1927

The Chester News was a semi-weekly, later weekly continuation of the Semi-Weekly News established in 1913. The name changed to the Chester News in September 1917 retaining the number sequence of the Semi-Weekly News. In 1917 it was a semi-weekly Democrat newspaper. About 1942, it became a weekly paper. W. Ward Pegram and Stewart L. Cassells were the owner/publishers. W. Ward Pegram, Jr. took ownership after his father’s death and published the paper until September 1971 when it merged with the Chester Reporter to form the News and Reporter which is still in publication.


The Chester News March 8, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels Mar 1927

The Chester News March 8, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels

Chester News 1927

The Chester News was a semi-weekly, later weekly continuation of the Semi-Weekly News established in 1913. The name changed to the Chester News in September 1917 retaining the number sequence of the Semi-Weekly News. In 1917 it was a semi-weekly Democrat newspaper. About 1942, it became a weekly paper. W. Ward Pegram and Stewart L. Cassells were the owner/publishers. W. Ward Pegram, Jr. took ownership after his father’s death and published the paper until September 1971 when it merged with the Chester Reporter to form the News and Reporter which is still in publication.


The Chester News March 4, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels Mar 1927

The Chester News March 4, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels

Chester News 1927

The Chester News was a semi-weekly, later weekly continuation of the Semi-Weekly News established in 1913. The name changed to the Chester News in September 1917 retaining the number sequence of the Semi-Weekly News. In 1917 it was a semi-weekly Democrat newspaper. About 1942, it became a weekly paper. W. Ward Pegram and Stewart L. Cassells were the owner/publishers. W. Ward Pegram, Jr. took ownership after his father’s death and published the paper until September 1971 when it merged with the Chester Reporter to form the News and Reporter which is still in publication.


The Chester News March 1, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels Mar 1927

The Chester News March 1, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels

Chester News 1927

The Chester News was a semi-weekly, later weekly continuation of the Semi-Weekly News established in 1913. The name changed to the Chester News in September 1917 retaining the number sequence of the Semi-Weekly News. In 1917 it was a semi-weekly Democrat newspaper. About 1942, it became a weekly paper. W. Ward Pegram and Stewart L. Cassells were the owner/publishers. W. Ward Pegram, Jr. took ownership after his father’s death and published the paper until September 1971 when it merged with the Chester Reporter to form the News and Reporter which is still in publication.


The Chester News February 25, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels Feb 1927

The Chester News February 25, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels

Chester News 1927

The Chester News was a semi-weekly, later weekly continuation of the Semi-Weekly News established in 1913. The name changed to the Chester News in September 1917 retaining the number sequence of the Semi-Weekly News. In 1917 it was a semi-weekly Democrat newspaper. About 1942, it became a weekly paper. W. Ward Pegram and Stewart L. Cassells were the owner/publishers. W. Ward Pegram, Jr. took ownership after his father’s death and published the paper until September 1971 when it merged with the Chester Reporter to form the News and Reporter which is still in publication.


The Chester News February 18, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels Feb 1927

The Chester News February 18, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels

Chester News 1927

The Chester News was a semi-weekly, later weekly continuation of the Semi-Weekly News established in 1913. The name changed to the Chester News in September 1917 retaining the number sequence of the Semi-Weekly News. In 1917 it was a semi-weekly Democrat newspaper. About 1942, it became a weekly paper. W. Ward Pegram and Stewart L. Cassells were the owner/publishers. W. Ward Pegram, Jr. took ownership after his father’s death and published the paper until September 1971 when it merged with the Chester Reporter to form the News and Reporter which is still in publication.


The Chester News February 15, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels Feb 1927

The Chester News February 15, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels

Chester News 1927

The Chester News was a semi-weekly, later weekly continuation of the Semi-Weekly News established in 1913. The name changed to the Chester News in September 1917 retaining the number sequence of the Semi-Weekly News. In 1917 it was a semi-weekly Democrat newspaper. About 1942, it became a weekly paper. W. Ward Pegram and Stewart L. Cassells were the owner/publishers. W. Ward Pegram, Jr. took ownership after his father’s death and published the paper until September 1971 when it merged with the Chester Reporter to form the News and Reporter which is still in publication.


The Chester News February 11, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels Feb 1927

The Chester News February 11, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels

Chester News 1927

The Chester News was a semi-weekly, later weekly continuation of the Semi-Weekly News established in 1913. The name changed to the Chester News in September 1917 retaining the number sequence of the Semi-Weekly News. In 1917 it was a semi-weekly Democrat newspaper. About 1942, it became a weekly paper. W. Ward Pegram and Stewart L. Cassells were the owner/publishers. W. Ward Pegram, Jr. took ownership after his father’s death and published the paper until September 1971 when it merged with the Chester Reporter to form the News and Reporter which is still in publication.


The Chester News February 8, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels Feb 1927

The Chester News February 8, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels

Chester News 1927

The Chester News was a semi-weekly, later weekly continuation of the Semi-Weekly News established in 1913. The name changed to the Chester News in September 1917 retaining the number sequence of the Semi-Weekly News. In 1917 it was a semi-weekly Democrat newspaper. About 1942, it became a weekly paper. W. Ward Pegram and Stewart L. Cassells were the owner/publishers. W. Ward Pegram, Jr. took ownership after his father’s death and published the paper until September 1971 when it merged with the Chester Reporter to form the News and Reporter which is still in publication.


The Chester News February 4, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels Feb 1927

The Chester News February 4, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels

Chester News 1927

The Chester News was a semi-weekly, later weekly continuation of the Semi-Weekly News established in 1913. The name changed to the Chester News in September 1917 retaining the number sequence of the Semi-Weekly News. In 1917 it was a semi-weekly Democrat newspaper. About 1942, it became a weekly paper. W. Ward Pegram and Stewart L. Cassells were the owner/publishers. W. Ward Pegram, Jr. took ownership after his father’s death and published the paper until September 1971 when it merged with the Chester Reporter to form the News and Reporter which is still in publication.


The Chester News February 1, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels Feb 1927

The Chester News February 1, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels

Chester News 1927

The Chester News was a semi-weekly, later weekly continuation of the Semi-Weekly News established in 1913. The name changed to the Chester News in September 1917 retaining the number sequence of the Semi-Weekly News. In 1917 it was a semi-weekly Democrat newspaper. About 1942, it became a weekly paper. W. Ward Pegram and Stewart L. Cassells were the owner/publishers. W. Ward Pegram, Jr. took ownership after his father’s death and published the paper until September 1971 when it merged with the Chester Reporter to form the News and Reporter which is still in publication.


The Chester News January 28, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels Jan 1927

The Chester News January 28, 1927, W. W. Pegram, Stewart L. Cassels

Chester News 1927

The Chester News was a semi-weekly, later weekly continuation of the Semi-Weekly News established in 1913. The name changed to the Chester News in September 1917 retaining the number sequence of the Semi-Weekly News. In 1917 it was a semi-weekly Democrat newspaper. About 1942, it became a weekly paper. W. Ward Pegram and Stewart L. Cassells were the owner/publishers. W. Ward Pegram, Jr. took ownership after his father’s death and published the paper until September 1971 when it merged with the Chester Reporter to form the News and Reporter which is still in publication.